Friday, September 04, 2009

Missing On A Star

It’s official. I think we need to add a missing girl segment to the news. People seem to need updates on missing girls as much as they need to know if they need to bring a sweater to work or what the score was last night. Our lost girl appetite is insatiable. We’re here already. Let’s call it what it is.

I’m not talking about merely covering the latest missing or rescued girl. I’m talking about a daily segment, like the weather or sports.

WEATHER MAN: Look for things to cool down by the end of the week but today will be a scorcher.

ANCHORMAN: Thanks Cole and now with the missing girl segment, here’s Patricia.

QSN: In the states (and let’s be honest by readership is international…I mean, a guy in Toronto counts right?) Anyhoo, here, weather men have to have names that sound like weather conditions. My previous scene is no different. My imaginary weather man’s last name is Front.

Don’t get me wrong people being abducted and taken from their family is very sad. But what makes the tears roll down my face is that the general populace doesn’t really care. We’re just gobbling up the sensationalism of it all. Also sad, 4 out of ten times the very family that’s on TV crying and pleading for help is responsible for their own little girl’s disappearance.

I’m just waiting for the missing little girl drinking games to start popping up.

QSN = Quick Side Note

3 comments:

Deana said...

I think the main reason they don't have daily segments is that there aren't often updates on the missing children. A teenager named Amber Dubois from San Diego has been missing for months with no leads whatsoever. If Cole Front turned to Patricia and asked, "What's the latest on Amber?" Pat would hit back, "No news, Cole... for the 93rd day in a row."

QSN: Pat makes me think of Pat Kiernan from NY1, whom I consider to be the hottest newscaster ever. His wit combined with that curiously low voice is enough to relocate me to the big apple. Shazam.

Sad but true, no one really seems to care, except for the small search parties that look for the missing folks in the preliminary stages. And sadder still, as you said, the families are often involved in some horrific way.

Maybe next time you could write about something happier, like ice cream, Hello Kitty, or how annoying those balloon guys are at theme restaurants.

dwayneperkins said...

How do you know about Pat Kiernan?! :-)

Deana said...

I've been to Brooklyn, B. Saw Pat on NY1 and fell in love. Later on, he hosted The World Series of Pop Culture on VH1, and I caught a marathon on a Friday night. I also read his blog everyday called Pat's Papers. Peep it:

http://www.patspapers.com/index.php/home.html