Friday, August 21, 2009

So Take, This Broken Fridge (Funny Blog from Comedy Central's Dwayne Perkins)

I recently moved. In the spirit of MSTs (Money Saving Techniques), I figured I would buy a used fridge…As long as it gets cold, right? I love how on MTV Cribs some rapper or athlete will have a stainless steel monstrosity of a fridge (SSMF) that cost more than my car but only has a few beers, soda and questionable bologna inside.

RAPPER: What’s that?!
ME: That’s the money you could have saved if you just bought a cooler and instead of your SSMF since you never cook or take home leftovers.

In Los Angeles you don’t get a fridge with your place. For a New Yorker it’s hard to wrap your mind around that concept. Who wants to move a fridge…ever?! I’m willing to roll the dice and get a fridge not as good as my last one. Let’s all just keep our fridges where they are…forever. Of course, this would greatly reduce the sales of the SSMF.

QSN: Fridge is spelled with a D and refrigerator doesn’t have a D. Write your congressman.

I came across the following add on craigslist:
Refrigerator - not working - $50 (Hacienda Heights)
________________________________________
Date: 2009-07-24, 3:43PM PDT
Reply to: someclown@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
________________________________________
NEEDS REPAIR
great Refrigerator for someone who knows how to repair them
does not get cold.

What?!?! You want 50 dollars for something that doesn’t work at all? So you want me to pay you to move your broken fridge for you. Did I get that right? There’s gall and then there’s this. I almost want to reply to this person just to sucker punch him and tell him to stop trying to gain from every little thing and give something away every now and then.

ME: You see it as a busted lip. I see it as a reminder to pay it forward next time….You might want to put some ice on that. Doh! That’s right your fridge doesn’t work.

In true Brooklyn style I stumbled upon a Refrigerator that works for $50. Brooklyn…we go hard. Shout out to Philly on the help out. ( My friend from Philly told me about the fridge for sale)

2 comments:

Deana said...

I see this all the time with appliances on craigslist. A lot of typewriter ads say, "Great condition. I don't know if it works or not though." How can the condition be listed as great when it may or may not work?

Lately I've been looking for transistor radios, which are suprisingly expensive. The majority of them don't even have the corresponding batteries. Do people actually think that collectors are dumb enough to buy non-operative units? Sadly, it seems so.

I hope you found a proper place for your old cake and homemade ginger ale.

TJ said...

I love your work man. I've been keeping up with you since I caught you on Comedy Central a few years back. Let me know if you are ever going to be in the Nashville area.