Thursday, August 05, 2010

The 1st Apple

I was on a train from Edinburgh, Scotland to London. We stopped in York, same York whose namesake is my hometown. I was tempted to get off and tour Old York but time and the cost of same day train tickets stopped me from disembarking in the York old.

From the looks of it, from my seat on the train, New York is quite a departure from Old York. The sequel is usually not as good but I think York Part II is a better watch. I think it's fair to say that New York could be called New and Improved York. I wonder if the people of York derive any pride from the fact that they're name spawned, arguably, the best city in the world. Or maybe they're bummed by the fact that New York has taken their name and really really ran with it. I think I would kinda root for a guy named New Dwayne, even if there was no relation. Then again if New Dwayne found the cure for Cancer or something, I could see it getting annoying having people ask me if New Dwayne was named after me.

ME: Yes, New Dwayne was named after me. Yes he cured Cancer. Yes that is amazing...but I write a blog damnit!

New York used to be called New Amsterdam...(down at the new Amsterdam. Staring at this yellow haired girl. Mr Jones Strikes up a conversation..*) A few years ago I found myself in Amsterdam and I was able to go through the original Harlem and the original Brooklyn. I definitely put my mental lighters up.

Perhaps we will discover new planets and build new cities and one of those cities could be named after my city. “Welcome To New New York.” And if we name a city after that city it could be New New New York. Good times. Do people in Mexico have a special place in their hearts for New Mexico?

An argument for York over New York from the York tourist board. How cute. Plus a little New York/York history lesson.

* Lyric from Counting Crows song “Mr Jones”, one of my top 3 pop songs of the nineties.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

New New York is already on Futurama.

Unknown said...

I thought this was really funny. Big fan of your stand-up.. I'd be pretty dissapointed with myself if I didn't also let you know I'm a part of a three comedy supergroup (known as the Ngwe Brothers). We'd be really honored if you could watch it, like it, and comment on it on your blog. Although it would be a drastic departure from what you usually do on your blog and may even alienate some viewers, it'll definately help gain us exposure so that makes it worth it right?

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2kS5ArSVdI

dwayneperkins said...

that's right. I forgot about that. And I really like futurama. Thanks for the heads up. cheers!