Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Damn Ma!

I like a pretty girl as much as the next guy but this thing of casting way too young women to play older roles is getting ridiculous. I keep seeing TV mothers who look 4 years older than their supposed daughters. It's a mind screw. Obviously, to get on TV, for the most part, you have to be empirically good looking. The programmers have a better chance of the viewers watching if the people being transmitted are desirable. As that means more people will watch the commercials. Good looking people are the bridge between soap powder and the viewing public. Much like stand-up comics are the bridge between watered down drinks, greasy appetizers and people looking for something to do on a Saturday night. Because they're being entertained people will brave a two drink minimum or sit through a life insurance commercial to get another glimpse of that beautiful woman who they were promised would be shown “after these messages.”

So good looking people dominate the television landscape. Fine. But I think some line is crossed when a TV mother of 3 teenagers looks like she's 27. I'm sure there are 27 year old women with 3 teenage kids but that story isn't quirky, charming or heart felt. It's a bit more understandable when the show's angle is that the mom started young. Many times, that's not the angle. The producers are just trying to double up on the show's hotness quotient. A veritable two-fer.

I try my darnedest to look my best, but this worshiping youth has gone too far. We all get to be young and if we're lucky, we get to be old. No one gets to be young twice. That's why we came up with the phrase young at heart. I'm not saying moms shouldn't look good or have ambitions separate from being a mom. But think of the billions of dollars that can be made if you make moms feel pressure to compete with women ½ their age. Maybe the demand for youth is already there and moms would seek out products and techniques to restore youth no matter what. Or maybe turning on your TV and seeing moms that could just as easily be on MTV spring break is creating the youth demand and ultimate discontentment.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. Moms rock.

6 comments:

Mr. A said...

Funny you should mention this (but of course, comedian that you are). I tend to not watch shows where the actors/actresses are unrealistically good looking. Not all MILFs look like Megan Fox; some look like Phylicia or Edie. It's not just the TV moms, the greatest culprits are cop shows. Everyone that works in a precinct is NOT attractive. If so, every horny tom, dick, and harriet would be committing crimes just to get a look at Detective Benson or Special Agent Sam Hanna.

Mom's rock, but out of shape Detective Phallus head who harrasses for a hobbie does not.

me! said...

Can't help this, Dwayne, but this entire post reminded of a bit I once heard about the time someone's grandmother sat him and his mother down and broke the news...

Oh. Never mind. I guess you know that one, huh? :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deana said...

I'm never quite sure if it's kosher to use the phrase "as much as the next guy." In this case, what if the "next guy" were gay and preferred pretty boys? What if you said, "My legs are as good as the next guy's" while unconsciously seated next to a cripple? {I realize that the word cripple is foul, but I'm making a point here.} Maybe I should just look around to see who's in the vicinity before I say things like "I like cupcakes just as much as the next guy." Especially if I'm in a Starbucks sharing a table with a Sweet Diabetic.

dwayneperkins said...

thanks guys.

I hope you like my blogs as much as the next guy. Deana, it is a rather pedestrian term but if you include all guys, even those who don't like girls, and you take the mean you would still be left with a healthy like for good looking girls. Plus I wrote the blog while sitting in a singles bar. Gotta tell you women really flock toward the guy on the laptop at a singles bar. Who ever thought "Are you picking up wi-fi?" would itself become a pick-up line.

me! said...

While Dwayne calculates the "next guy" mean, I prefer to go Boolean with a simple >= , which pretty much covers the bases.

(Including this base, since I fall into the "<" category myself.)