Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Back To The Future

So, last week Wednesday I successfully traveled back in time. Without the aid of a flux capacitor or a magical phone booth I warped back to 1994. Before I get a bunch of emails and phone calls from jealous scientists looking to steal my time travel patent, let me explain how I accomplished this feat...

I left my cell phone home. Ever do that? At first a wave of panic came over me. I was already running late and too far away to turn back. I was cut off from the world. I would have to learn how to eat off the land, start fires, determine which berries are safe to eat. Sure I had money in my pocket, a car full of gas and other cars all around me but how would I contact anyone. More importantly how would they contact me.

As my thoughts spiraled and I began to accept my own personal Armageddon, Lisa Loeb's “You Say” came on the radio. Then I realized that I had basically warped back to 1994 and everything was going to be okay. That's right, there was a time when I drove in my car without the ability to phone home. I made it through 1994 okay, maybe I could make it through a ½ day without my phone. Although, then I started to get upset that I didn't have my beeper on me :-). As I sat at a red light being calmed down by Miss Loeb...

MISS LOEB: ...I don't listen hard, don't pay attention to the distance that you're running
to anyone, anywhere...

Just then a brother walked by my car sporting a bulbous afro, bell bottoms and yellow Chuck Taylors (he had actually warped to 1994 from 1977) Apparently, I wasn't the only one time traveling.

I just may leave my phone at home more often.


3 comments:

John TEd said...

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing pall!!

Deana said...

I occasionally leave my cell phone at home or drop it down the mail chute at work on accident. It always stirs an initial panic, but that panic transforms into relief. Why should it take an act of fate in order to become unencumbered? It's glorious to feel untethered, even momentarily. Reminds me of that Wordsworth poem: "When from our better selves we have too long been parted by the hurrying world, and droop, sick of its business, of its pleasures tired, how gracious, how benign, solitude."

dwayneperkins said...

What a great poe-em. Thanks for sharing. I definitely felt free. Nowadays we're all busy doing nothing.