Thursday, October 30, 2008

Dress for Success

Dress for Success

So there's a comic I know who wears a kilt on stage. I'm not sure if I could pull it off but I was instantly envious of his setup. Los Angeles is hot. The valley is even hotter.* How sweet would it be for me to let my boys breathe a bit? I definitely appreciate it when women wear skirts and dresses. And don't even get me started on sundresses. So I definitely want women to keep this practice up.

But when you think from a function point of view, it's us men who need the freedom a dress or skirt offer more than women do. Other cultures have realized this and made provisions for men, and more importantly for their "boys" to be free of pantalones. The Scotts came up with the whole kilt thing. Middle eastern men wear long thobes**. But the whole point is to free yourself of restriction. But here in the good ole US of A only eccentric millionaires get to enjoy the comfort of unrestricted "boys." A mechanic can't show up to work with a skirt on but a multi-platinum selling artist can walk into a four star restaurant wearing a muumuu*** and get seated instantly. Meanwhile our aforementioned mechanic can no longer get auto parts delivered because the whole car community has blackballed him. Meanwhile the rocker is sending back his lobster because it's not from right part of Maine. Meanwhile... you get my point.

So that leaves me with 3 options. Move to a place wear men can wear "boys" friendly clothes, become a millionaire or, what I will most likely do, keep living under this oppressive "boys" unfriendly regime and keep wearing pants and sometimes shorts.

Shout out to Steve Kimbro****, A black man by the way, for being a trail blazer and wearing skirts in a time when it wasn't ok. Thanks brah! I respect you and we owe you but for the time being...you're on your own!

*San Fernando Valley, widely reffered to as "The Valley" is the northern part of LA county just on the other side of the Hollywood Hills. It's typically 10 degrees hotter than the rest of L.A. on any given day. So take what Al Roker says for L.A. and add ten baby.

** Thobes Long loose traditional dresses sometime worn by Saudi men
http://www.desertstore.com/pages/mensclothing.html

***muumuu - a loose often long dress having bright colors and patterns and adapted from the dresses originally distributed by missionaries to the native women of Hawaii

**** Steve Kimbro. A brother fighting the good fight
http://web.mac.com/stevenekimbrough/iWeb/Steven%20E%20Kimbrough%20-%20Comedian/Steven's%20Comedy%20Bio.html

No comments: