Wednesday, November 21, 2007

You May Not Have a Car at All…

But remember brothers and sisters you can still stand tall.*
There’s so much to be thankful for, even if you don’t get down with the silly Pilgrim/Indian angle.

PILGRIM: Enjoy your Turkey Chief Running Out Of Time…It might be your last.

Still though, minus the Turkey and marketing slant, there’s much to be thankful for. I’m thankful for all you folks who read my blog and for all the people you have told and are going to tell others about my blog (hint hint) . Thanks for having a meeting of the minds with me in cyberspace. And thanks for the comments. I read them and they crack me up.

Two people are popping into my head a lot today on this Thanksgiving eve.

Lawrence Lee**, who drove me to work and back everyday for over a month when I didn’t have a car. And I wasn’t on his way. He lived close to work but drove almost a ½ hour out of the way to get me and took me back at night. Lawrence and I were strangers prior to me working for the company.

The 2nd person on my mind and heart is Carrie Caldwell. My aunt Carrie, on consecutive Easters bought me a new suit to wear even thought she had five kids of her own to pimp out. Back in those days, you had to have new wares on Easter or you were completely not gelin’. I’m not sure if I could have prevailed over the deep scars not being fresh two Easters in a row would have caused. Crisis averted.

It’s hard to pay back people like this who have been so giving and kind to you. My only hope is that I will pay it forward. I’ll never forget and I’ll be forever humbled by your acts of goodness.

* Lyric from an old R&B song by William DeVaughn about being thankful. Most people know the “Diamond in the Back, Sunroof top… refrain used time and again by rappers who usually change the meaning of the original song.

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/becool/bethankfulforwhatyougot.htm
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pELWVvg8bB8

**If you’re reading this and know Lawrence please tell him to shout me out.

4 comments:

Anon said...

I remember new clothes on Easter, too. I remember getting gloves - one year from my auntie and the next from my grandmother. A new dress, shiney shoes, and gloves to wear to church. I haven't thought about that in years - so right now - I am thankful for that memory being nudged forward.

Anonymous said...

hey dwayne...i'm doing it...my first ever stand up gig...on campus....i'm a little nervous...any tips

Anonymous said...

Hi Dwayne, I work with your bud Travis, and I followed your link from his OOOLLDD site.

Travis is funny. He must get it from you!

Anonymous said...

Hi dwayne, have you tried googling lawrence? seems to be the thing to do now...