Wednesday, February 15, 2012

They Might Be Giants

Congratulations to my NY Giants for winning another Superbowl. It was a most ripping victory. The Giants are football royalty. Being a Giants fan means you get to see your team go all the way every few years. Being a Jets fan means you get to route for the Giants every few years.


The most compelling thing about the Giants is that their fearless leader doesn’t look fearless or like a leader. Yet the quiet Giant has two Superbowl rings and all of New York City is feeling the noise. Now, the Knicks have an Asian point guard, who graduated from Harvard, driving the whole country bananas.


That’s what’s great about sports. The results trump the preconceived notions. Eli still looks dopey but it’s a fact that he captured a most elusive spoil twice over. What happens in other arenas where there’s no one keeping score? We allow our selves to be tricked is what happens. Truth is clouded by marketing tactics. We judge books by the cover. Some of the toughest people look the nerdiest. Some of the nerdiest looking are the most dull. Obviously sight is usually the first sense activated in most situations so to pre-judge is unavoidable. However at some point we must do the math and tally reality into our assessment.


I love that people I grew up with can attest that I’m from the hoods that rappers rap about. Some of those rappers are not from the hoods they rap about. Millionaire Rick Brown won the senator race in Massachusetts and said “I'm Scott Brown, I'm from Wrentham, I drive a truck...” I guess to say, “I’m one of you.” Yeah, and serial killers recycle but that doesn’t make them green. Clearly perceptions and norms come from somewhere. Those perceptions are there for a reason. They do exist. I don’t think we should look for exceptions or to confirm what we already think. Just allow the truth of every situation to present itself. Eli is elite, Jeremy Lin can ball and I should be in Paris getting effed up. :-)


No comments: