Friday, June 27, 2008

George Carlin

We lost George Carlin earlier this week. For those of you not familiar with his work, I urge you to check out his great legacy of stand-up and writing. Before I even became a comic or knew I wanted to or could be a stand-up, George Carlin blew my mind and offered new ways of thinking and being. George Carlin was and will always be what so many profess to be but aren’t, an artist and person whose life, art and words were always consistent, fair and true; even if they weren’t popular or soothing. His points were always reflective of how he felt and never just what people wanted to hear. And he did it all with insanely efficient razor sharp wit, mad passion and massive charm. In this day and age so much art is designed using reverse engineering and marketing plans and people make hollow points to people they know already agree with them. We should all learn from the example he set. He spoke truth and let that alone be his reward.

He also never tried to pass on gratuitousness as provocative-ness. I see so many comics feigning anger or making obvious points with attitude and smugness that would suggest their taking risks or pushing the envelope but their only standing in place loudly. It’s not my goal to expose comics but more to shine the light on Carlin’s greatness. He paved the way for the rest of us to talk about whatever we want and to be brazen and fearless. George Carlin will always be my personal favorite and the world of comedy rests on his tiny shoulders.

We can’t all be Carlin but we can all be true to ourselves and use our mental faculties to question things, ultimately enriching our lives and mankind as a whole.

I had the pleasure of meeting George Carlin. He was kind and friendly and true to the words he spoke on stage.

Thank you Mr. Carlin, there will never be another like you but I for one will forever be inspired by your radiance. We will miss you.

1 comment:

Anon said...

Thank you! I have been waiting for someone to say something more than how sad it was that he passed.

When I was 6 or 7, I found out our library had albums in the back that you could check out. FM & AM as well Bill Cosby Revenge went home with me and the last fees piled up.

He was one of the handful of comedians when I was coming up that inspired me, made me think, and made me laugh until I cried. I was always amazed at how he could come up with new set after new set and only repeat himself when he was asked to and then it was like your favorite band playing a golden oldie.